He entered the Braga Cathedral Chapter, where he served as Dean. Between 1948 and 1975 he served as director of the Conciliar Seminary of São Pedro and São Paulo, in the Archdiocese of Braga.
In 1957, due to his personal interest in archaeology, he founded the Pius XII Museum, making the most of the empty rooms in the old building of the São Paulo School, which had been returned to the Archdiocese. On 21 June 1984, he founded the Medina Museum.
In the context of his highlighted devotion to cultural heritage, he carried out excavations, wrote articles, organised exhibitions and conferences. He also collaborated in founding the Limiano Institute and with the Terceiros Museum, in Ponte de Lima. He was also associated with the Portuguese Academy of History.
His work towards preserving and valuing cultural heritage was acknowledged early on. In 1986 he was awarded the Medal of Cultural Merit from the Ministry of Culture and in 1990, the President of the Republic granted him the Commendation of the Order of Merit.
He died in Braga on 12 November 1992, leaving behind an enormously valuable legacy. The municipality of Braga acknowledged his merit, including his name in the toponymy, with a street in the urban parish of São Vicente, implementing a proposal from the Commission of Toponomy from 20 May 1993.
The founder of the Pius XII Museum was born on 24 September 1913, in the parish of Alvarães, in Viana do Castelo.
He went to the Braga seminaries, since Viana do Castelo was still part of the Archdiocese of Braga, and was ordained priest on 11 October 1936. From 1936 to 1940 he studied Dogmatic Theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University, in Rome.